Welcome!

At the first hint of chill in the air, my thoughts turn to Christmas. My mind and heart begin to fill with visions of sugar plums indeed. My weekly menu turns decidedly toward comfort food and I begin rummaging in my brain for homemade Christmas gift ideas for my loved ones. I begin hauling out first the autumn decorations and later the Christmas, decking my halls and every other available surface. I take delight in the season, the magic, wonder and glory of it all. This blog was born from that delight. Here you will find dinner ideas, crafts, decor, stories, memories, and music. Some ideas will be entirely mine, but I will also include anything cute I come across that I think you might like to see, credit given to the creator or source. Please leave me your ideas in the comments and any other feedback you'd like to give.

Thursday, October 30, 2008

I Love this team!


Are you familiar with the dynamic husband/wife writer/illustrator team of Wende and Harry Devlin? Together they wrote and illustrated some of my very favorite children's book. I always turn to them this time of year as I gravitate toward tradition and nostalgia. When I was a child our family owned Cranberry Thanksgiving, How Fletcher Was Hatched, Old Witch and the Polka-Dot Ribbon. I've begun my own collection of these delightful books and recently added Cranberry Christmas to the shelf. These homey books are worth the purchase, but go ahead and start out by going to the library and checking out as many Devlin titles as you can get your hands on. Believe me, once you get started you'll want to keep going. The Cranberry holiday stories come with a recipe from the book. It's a great way for kids to participate in the holiday. Have them read Cranberry Christmas aloud at your gathering and then let them serve Maggie's Favorite Cranberry Cookies that they have made ahead of time. It's fun, educational, and makes for great memories. In fact, I would also recommend taking some photos of them in the process so you can assemble a holiday memory book for them.
If you're ready to take the plunge, you can buy them here.

1 comment:

Prudy said...

We love the Cranberry stories and are forever jockeying to get them from the library. Maybe it's time to buy our own. Happy Halloween!