Welcome!

At the first hint of chill in the air, my thoughts turn to Christmas. My mind and heart begin to fill with visions of sugar plums indeed. My weekly menu turns decidedly toward comfort food and I begin rummaging in my brain for homemade Christmas gift ideas for my loved ones. I begin hauling out first the autumn decorations and later the Christmas, decking my halls and every other available surface. I take delight in the season, the magic, wonder and glory of it all. This blog was born from that delight. Here you will find dinner ideas, crafts, decor, stories, memories, and music. Some ideas will be entirely mine, but I will also include anything cute I come across that I think you might like to see, credit given to the creator or source. Please leave me your ideas in the comments and any other feedback you'd like to give.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Searching for the Christmas Spirit


(Spirit of Christmas by Thomas Kinkade buy it here.)

Oddly enough, this year I'm really working to get in the mood for Christmas. It's not that I'm NOT looking forward to Christmas or that I'm grumpy or depressed, it just hasn't overcome me yet. Which is OK, it's not even Thanksgiving yet, but each year I feel like the Christmas season is shorter and shorter and I want to start celebrating a little earlier. So I guess I feel like not being overcome by eager anticipation yet is wasting my time!

I have a theory about the lack of Christmas Spirit. I think it has something to do with the messed up weather this fall. It has thrown off my groove. We got summer in September, colder than normal weather in October, cheating me out of October's bright blue weather, then a warm November but of course with the leaves gone by and no brilliant blue sky. The natural progression of my favorite time of year has been completely obliterated and I just don't know how to settle into this craziness!

But never fear! I am feeling the first twinges. Last week I cut open a grapefruit and the tangy-sweet aroma wrapped me in Christmas. I also bought a bag of Cuties, those easy to peel seedless little tangelos or tangerines or oranges or whatever they are, and each day I've had one or two with the same effect. I think I have mentioned on here that my parents always bought a bushel of oranges and a bushel of grapefruit around this time of year. Oranges and Christmas go hand in hand for me. We would sit by the tree eating oranges, citrus and evergreen mingling in delicious holiday perfection.

I am also getting excited about some Christmas present projects that are cooking in my mind and beginning to develop into reality. I wish I could talk about them on here, but a certain daughter of mine reads this blog and I don't want her to know what everyone is getting. (Hi Kennedy! Love you!)

What puts you in the Christmas Spirit? Decorating? Projects? Food? Music?

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

If it were up to me my tree would be up already. :D
I get in the spirit by listening to holiday music and watching some of the more obscure Christmas movies.
I know how you feel, I am working on some projects and am bursting to tell someone about them.
I agree that the weather is affecting us all. Do you have any ideas for perking up holiday spirit in others? So many of my peers really don't have a whole lot of love for Christmas outside the actual day.
I love your blog!