Welcome!

At the first hint of chill in the air, my thoughts turn to Christmas. My mind and heart begin to fill with visions of sugar plums indeed. My weekly menu turns decidedly toward comfort food and I begin rummaging in my brain for homemade Christmas gift ideas for my loved ones. I begin hauling out first the autumn decorations and later the Christmas, decking my halls and every other available surface. I take delight in the season, the magic, wonder and glory of it all. This blog was born from that delight. Here you will find dinner ideas, crafts, decor, stories, memories, and music. Some ideas will be entirely mine, but I will also include anything cute I come across that I think you might like to see, credit given to the creator or source. Please leave me your ideas in the comments and any other feedback you'd like to give.

Friday, December 5, 2008

Mom's Chocolates

These candies are as much a part of Christmas for me as candy canes (or gingerbread, for that matter!) My mother has made these for years to give away as gifts and to keep in a candy dish on the cardboard mantle. The centers are a powdered sugar and condensed milk mixture flavored however you like. Mom would do green wintergreen flavor, pink cherry flavor, white peppermint flavor, and orange colored flavored like lemon. I'm kidding, they were orange flavored, of course. Sometimes she would have two colored the same and would simply shape them differently. I've not been very good about making these regularly, but I'm trying to be better, for tradition's sake. If you do these in candy molds they can be rather time consuming, you see. But perhaps I will simply shape them into balls and and dip them this year. I'll post pictures after I make them, assuming I remember to TAKE pictures.

Mom's Cream Chocolates

1 Can condensed milk
3 lbs powdered sugar
2 T corn syrup
8 T (1 stick) melted butter

Mix together, knead until smooth and creamy. (This takes a while, it's pretty dense.) Divide into sections, color and flavor as desired, to taste. Shape, put on a cookie sheet, cover with wax paper, freeze for a few minutes. Dip in chocolate. Place on wax paper to dry. (Or put in candy molds. The best way to do this is to buy a new paintbrush and paint the chocolate into the empty molds. Put it in the freezer to harden. Once hardened remove from freezer and press candy mixture into mold and cover with more chocolate. Freeze it to harden again, then pop them out of the molds. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to give away or serve.)

Happy candy making!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the recipe! I will try it! Love ya girl! Maybe it will turn out better then my attempt at fudge!